Sunday, September 28, 2008

completed circles.


I'm a little tipsy, and certainly very tired, so this will be brief and probably, grammatically speaking, sub-par (even for me). The other day I was driving home from work and I spotted what looked like 30,000 blackbirds swirling over a field by the side of the road. I stopped immediately, jumped out of my car, and started snapping as many photos as I could get my little shitty camera to take. Upon returning to my car I noticed that I had left my headlights on. I tried to start the car. My car stubbornly replied: "whiiirrr, whiiiiirr, whiiiiiiiiiiiiiir." No dice.

I popped my hood, retrieved my jumper cables from my trunk and, despondently took a seat on my front bumper. Almost immediately, a truck pulled up, out of which came a man looking to be in his fifties with a salt and pepper beard and glasses, bearing some kind of identification tag around his neck (indicating that he was, more than likely, on his way home from work). He walked around the front end of his truck, intending to open his hood, and asked me if I knew who he was. I said that I did not, but that he looked familiar to me. He then told me that about 4 years ago he had been walking by what he thought was probably the front of my apartment in Shepherdstown (he was right), and that I had given him a sweet bean paste treat of Asian origin that I apparently had extras of and that he was there (in front of my car) to return the favor.

He then gave me a jump and told me to pass on the good deed and continued on his journey home.

How cool is that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man... that's great. I was going to send you an email but decided to read the blog, and I'm glad I did. :). I miss you.

Unknown said...

That is really damn cool. What a lovely person. Also, that man has an amazing memory. How do people do that, remember minor little events and their minute details YEARS later and completely out of context? I tend to remember faces, and then torture myself for days trying to figure out where I saw them before. I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...sweet bean paste...I wonder if you gave him mochi. Anyways, that's one of the coolest stories I've heard this week. Karma.